Berrett-Koehler Publishers is a leading independent publisher that has been innovating for 25+ years. We are headquartered in Oakland, California, and our books, audios, and other publications are sold all over the world. We are dedicated to an ambitious mission: Connecting People and Ideas to Create a World That Works for All. Through our groundbreaking publications in business, management, current affairs, personal growth, self-help, and other areas, we strive to challenge conventional thinking, introduce new ideas, and foster positive change on individual, organizational, and societal levels. We offer a work environment that is participative, flexible, and creative. We seek staff members who bring cultural, ethnic, social, and intellectual diversity to Berrett-Koehler. We are a Certified B Corp and a California Benefit Corp. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The Director of Professional Publishing will serve on the BK Management Team and will serve as head of the Professional Publishing Department, supervising the Executive Editor for Professional Publishing and other department members to be hired over time. The Director will also have extensive sales and marketing responsibilities for professional titles, especially in establishing and personally managing sales channels, customer partnerships, sales systems, and marketing strategies for professional titles. BK’s professional titles are currently concentrated in the fields of project management, federal government contracting and financial management, public administration, organization development, training and development, and human resource management. BK intends to expand into other professional fields over coming years.
Please see a comprehensive job description, including job responsibilities below.
Applicants must have sufficient sales and marketing, leadership, and publishing experience to thrive in performing the responsibilities of this position. We seek applicants who have demonstrated a track record of success in accomplishing significant advances in complex and challenging environments—in any areas, whether previous jobs or volunteer work or entrepreneurial projects. Among the factors to be considered in judging applicants will be (1) applicants’ track record of proactively taking initiative to institute innovations and advances that addressed needs, solved problems, and exploited opportunities; (2) applicants’ history of performing responsibilities with accuracy, completeness, timeliness, and efficiency; (3) applicants’ history of making themselves accountable for performance and delivering on their accountabilities; (4) applicants’ history of maintaining a positive, engaged, committed attitude, even in a challenging environment; (5) applicants’ history of continually advancing their own learning and development; and (6) applicants’ history of collaborating well with coworkers and being a supportive and responsible organizational citizen.
Salary: $98,711 per year
Health insurance, dental insurance, disability insurance, and life insurance
Flexible Spending Account plan, 401K plan, HSA plan, and ESOP employee ownership plan
To be considered, you must mail or email your resume and a detailed cover letter (several pages long if necessary), stating why you are interested in the position, your qualifications (in relation to the desired qualifications detailed above), how you have been successful in similar work (please be specific about your accomplishments), and your personal qualities that account for your success. Please send them to:
Berrett- Koehler Publishers, Attn: Rosalee White, at the address below, or to: email@example.com
Detailed Job Description:
DIRECTOR OF PROFESSIONAL PUBLISHING
REPORTS TO: President and CEO
SUPERVISES: Executive Editor and Sales/Marketing Manager or Assistant
CLASSIFICATION: Exempt, Full-Time
- Build BK professional publishing programs into a highly profitable multi-million-dollar business that advances BK’s mission
- Build a BK professional team focused on defining and serving professional markets
- Lead the creation of BK sales, marketing, editorial, production, and operations systems and strategies that support profitable professional publishing, that differ from trade publishing systems and strategies, and that help all of BK become more customer focused
- Be the chief salesperson and marketer for professional titles and support other BK staff who help sell and market professional titles
- Guide BK professional publishing to be congruent with and benefit from the BK Way of partnering with authors, customers, sales partners, service providers, and others
- Establish, track, and focus company attention on metrics key to professional publishing
Departmental Leadership (35%)
- Serve on the BK management team and provide leadership as needed
- Serve as professional publishing department leader, supervise other department members, and help them to succeed in their roles
- Collaborate with and aid BK staff in other areas to help them support sales of BK professional publications and to apply professional publishing mindsets and approaches elsewhere in BK where they would enhance BK’s other publishing programs
- Lead in planning, coordinating, and executing actions to accomplish BK’s Priorities and Goals for 2018 and subsequent years regarding “Build BK Professional as a Business”
- Work closely with other departments in establishing and using efficient sales and revenue tracking, profitability analysis, publication planning, and inventory management systems
- Lead in exploring, analyzing, and deciding professional areas in which to expand BK’s business and locating and acquiring existing publications and programs in these areas
- Work with other BK departments to create scaled-down processes where possible (such as in book design) to increase efficiency and reduce costs for professional publishing
Sales and Marketing (50%)
- Lead in establishing go-to-market strategies for professional publishing areas
- Lead in projecting, tracking, and reporting sales of professional publications
- Build the sales and marketing structures—including partnerships with outside individuals and organizations, bulk sales channels, and direct marketing systems—necessary to support sales of professional titles and also useful for sales of appropriate trade titles
- Develop personal relationships with individuals and organizations key to partnerships, regularly contact those individuals and organizations, and generate needed sales revenue
- Develop personal relationships with key bulk sales customers in the training, professional certification, and academic markets for professional publishing, regularly contact those customers, and generate needed sales revenue
- Establish new distribution channels to support professional publishing sales, enhance the flow and efficiency of existing channels, and make sure that all professional publications are available at all times through existing and new channels
- Help develop digital direct marketing infrastructure to sell to professional communities
- Research, design, and implement coherent pricing and discount strategies
- Hire and supervise outside marketing agencies and freelancers as needed to support professional publishing
- Oversee the sales and marketing work of other department members
Marketing Team Leader for New BK Professional Books (10%)
- Create the key strategies for each title for the launch meeting
- Create marketing plans and a Google doc for each new title
- Oversee the implementation of the key strategies and marketing plans, checking that other sales and marketing staff are doing what they said they would do
- Connect with authors at least four months before pub date to review BK marketing plans and author marketing plans, and continue to check in with them periodically until two months after pub date to update them on BK marketing efforts, answer their questions, and make sure they’re getting the support they need
- Check that orders are coming in through all sales channels and follow up with BK staff and PRHPS sales staff as needed to correct problems
- Ensure that the book description in the metadata is accurate and contact those in charge to fix problems
- Check if there are enough positive Amazon customer reviews of the books, and, if not, ask the author to get more reviews; check that authors have created their amazon author pages and optimized their books, etc.
Two months after pub date, update the Google doc with a Sales and Marketing Update—summing up all marketing and publicity efforts—send it to the author and appropriate BK staff, and schedule a call to review it with the author
Organizational Citizenship (5%):
- Participate in company staff meetings
- Participate in monthly publication board meetings when professional publications are being proposed (optional when not)
- Participate in the professional title portions of seasonal launch meetings both internally and with distributors and sales force
- Participate in annual business planning process.
- Participate in company projects, discussions, activities, author events, etc. as needed for the effective operation of the company
- Follow company policies regarding expense reporting, company travel, benefits, workplace rules, other human resource policies, etc.
To view original job posting, please click here.